Wednesday, October 22, 2008

YIELD

Tonight at youth group we're going to be talking about one of the more difficult concepts in life as well as on the road. That's right, the action of yielding. Many of us, including myself, struggle to put anything ahead of ourselves. From early on in life we all have the desire to be first. I think back to my kindergarten days when I got such a rush from being the "line leader" for the day. I got to be the first one to go to lunch, recess, bathroom breaks...etc. It carries over later into life as we want to be first in the grocery checkout line, or on the road when traffic is heavy. What is it about being first that is so important and consuming to us as humans? Maybe that's one reason that Christianity isn't all that appealing to a lot of people. If we are followers of Christ, we are called to yield to God and others. We're supposed to put our own desires on the back burner as we prioritize the greatest commandment that Jesus gave us in the sermon on the mount. This call is too much for some people. Maybe it's not attractive enough, maybe it's just too difficult.
It's my prayer that I could consistently yield every aspect of my life to Christ and prioritize Him and others. I also pray that for you. I think Christ knew what he was talking about when he commanded us to do this. I think He knows and wants what is best for us...after all, He created us.
See you tonight!

No comments: