Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The Need For A Savior




















I am a failure. I consistently underachieve. I am a screw-up. I miss the mark daily. I fall short (way, way, way short) of the glory of God.
In our culture, those are not commonly heard phrases. Our culture tells us that we don't do anything wrong. Our culture tells us that whatever feels right to you is OK. Our culture tells us that morals are relative and the standard is whatever you want it to be.
It's not hard to see why we have embraced these ideas. It makes us look good. It justifies our actions. It makes us feel good. But there is just one problem...sin.
If we're honest with ourselves, if we see ourselves clearly, we'd admit that we have done something wrong in our life. We've lied, been disobedient, stole, coveted...the list goes on. What our culture won't tell you is this. Your sin is a really big deal! Our society and even the church has minimized sin. The truth is, sin has serious consequences. The consequence is death and eternal separation from God...no matter how many times you've sinned and no matter what the sin is.
What we so often fail to realize is that there are not levels of sinners in God's eyes. Liars are not less guilty than mass murderers. Pastors are not less guilty than their congregation. People that go to church are not less guilty than those who don't. Our sin puts all of us in the same place...seperated from God. This brings us to a beautiful conclusion. Everyone needs a savior. This is right where God stepped in and sent His son, Jesus to be our Savior. Jesus lived a life free from sin and took the punishment that we deserved. When we confess our sin to Him and declare Him as our Savior, we don't have to live seperated from God.
The great part is that it has nothing to do with how good we are, but rather how great our Savior is.
I am a failure, but Jesus conquered sin and death. I consistently underachieve, but have been redeemed by Jesus' blood. I am a screw-up, but Jesus came to seek and save me. I miss the mark daily, but I find forgiveness through Jesus. I fall short (way, way, way short) of the glory of God, but the gift of God is eternal life.


MIGHTY TO SAVE - Hillsong United
Everyone needs compassion,
Love that's never failing;
Let mercy fall on me.

Everyone needs forgiveness,
The kindness of a Saviour;
The Hope of nations.

Saviour, He can move the mountains,
My God is Mighty to save,
He is Mighty to save.

Forever, Author of salvation,
He rose and conquered the grave,
Jesus conquered the grave.

So take me as You find me,
All my fears and failures,
Fill my life again.

I give my life to follow
Everything I believe in,
Now I surrender.

My Saviour, He can move the mountains,
My God is Mighty to save,
He is Mighty to save.
Forever, Author of salvation,
He rose and conquered the grave,
Jesus conquered the grave.

Shine your light and let the whole world see,
We're singing for the glory of the risen King...Jesus

My Saviour, He can move the mountains,
My God is Mighty to save,
He is Mighty to save.
Forever, Author of salvation,
He rose and conquered the grave,
Jesus conquered the grave.

My Saviour, you can move the mountains,
You are mighty to save,
You are mighty to save.
Forever, Author of Salvation,
You rose and conquered the grave,
Yes you conquered the grave